What is Supporting People?
Supporting People is a programme funded by the Welsh Government to provide housing related support. The main aim is to help people live successfully and independently in settled accommodation within the community. Support should enable and empower people to cope as independently as possible. Assistance may include help to improve daily living skills, social interactions and community involvement, but focus on housing related issues.
The majority of services are floating support where a support worker visits people in their own home and community.
Who Can Access Supporting People?
The Programme is available to anyone in Ceredigion who require a housing-related support service.
What is Housing-Related Support?
The Supporting People Project does not cover all services people might consider to be support, but specifically focuses on support services that ensure people can live safely and securely in their own home. The Programme can help people by:
- Offering people help with managing their budgets and assistance accessing services dealing with benefits, finances and legal issues so they don’t accrue rent arrears and ultimately lose their home;
- Offering help to ensure people feel safe and secure in their home;
- Helping people to make and keep appointments, including going with them initially;
- Supporting people to gain access to other services they may need, including training, further education, employment, health and social activities;
- Assisting people in planning their weekly meals, shopping and food preparation (but not doing it for them);
- Assisting people to develop life skills that will help them cope better with daily living tasks;
- Supporting people with tenancy and housing issues, liaison with landlords, accessing advice and advocacy;
- Resettlement activities – pre and post tenancy assistance;
- Support with relationships and family, maintaining support networks and good neighbour relations and also promotion of good parenting skills;
- Addressing homelessness issues and helping people to access accommodation.
The above list is not exhaustive, but it shows the type of support services considered to be housing related.
If you wish to have a referral to our supporting people service, you can do so by visiting our Drop-In Wednesday’s and Friday’s 11am-3pm or via your GP.
If you require any more information on Supporting people, please do not hesitate to contact Iain at the office:
Phone:01970 626 225
or via Email: email@example.com